Okay, I know I said I was stopping this blog, but after a nice 3-month break, I’m back. I’ll start posting sermons this week, beginning with a new series that starts this Sunday on The Lord’s Prayer. I’m suggesting that our members use The Lord’s Prayer for lenten meditation and preparation. The first sermon should be up by Friday or Saturday, and then the rest of this 7-week series will follow.
Feels good to be back here, and I hope the content will be fresher and more helpful than ever.
-Grace and peace.
I’m starting a new sermon series this Sunday using texts taken from the Revised Common Lectionary readings for July and August. As I read through each of these scripture selections, I picked up a theme of “wise living” from them. Each text seemed to me to be pointing out the wisdom of one or more virtues or practices of God’s people. Here are the titles I’ve given each week’s sermon:
- July 4 – The Wisdom of Humility, 2 Kings 5:1-14
- July 11 – The Wisdom of Obedience, Deut 30:9-14
- July 18 – The Wisdom of Compassion, Amos 8:1-12
- July 25 – The Wisdom of Justice, Genesis 18:20-32
- Aug 1 – The Wisdom of Mercy, Hosea 11:1-11
- Aug 8 – The Wisdom of Repentance, Isaiah 1:1, 10-20
- Aug 15 – The Wisdom of Faith, Hebrews 11:29-12:2
- Aug 22 – The Wisdom of Reverence, Hebrews 12:18-29
I may be on vacation on August 1, but I included the August 1 title and text to complete the series. Are any of you doing a summer series, and if so, what are you preaching on?