I can’t figure out what I don’t like about the story of former Catholic priest Alberto Cutie (pronounced ku-tee-ay, not cutie-pie), who has now become an Episcopal priest. But, maybe it’s the fact that…
- Father Al was caught in a Burt-Lancaster-From-Here-to-Eternity scene, rolling in the tide with a bikini clad woman; or that,
- Father Alberto is called Father Oprah because of the popularity of his TV talk show; or that,
- Alberto has jumped ship to the Episcopal church and will preach this coming Sunday in an Episcopal church in Biscayne Park that needs reviving; or that,
- The Episcopalians welcomed him with open arms and are putting him right to work; or that,
- According to CNN, he said, “Through the photos, it looked like a frivolous thing on the beach, you know, and that’s not what it is. It’s something deeper than that.” Okay, so deeper makes everything fine. Or that,
- This is another example of “Pastors Gone Wild.” As if we needed any more examples.
So, that’s my take on Father Al. I personally hope he finds the happiness he seeks, and that he is indeed in love and that everything ends happily ever after. I would have liked it better if he’d taken at least a few days off, gone on a retreat or something, and started in a lower profile position than savior-of-a-dying-parish. But, hey, only in America, right?